In the News……

Do you watch the News on a regular basis, or read a newspaper? Perhaps you catch up on what goes on in the World via Facebook or Twitter. Personally, I try to avoid it whenever possible because News is invariably bad or intensely irritating and sometimes both; today there is a case in point.

Some people have said that Russell Brand has a screw loose; after reading this article I am not sure that he has one screw fully tightened! He is calling for tickling to be outlawed. Yes, you heard correctly – tickling; you know, that thing people do to make kids laugh (even adults sometimes if we’re lucky). What reason has he given for this startling request? Well, apparently it ‘violates their space’ and children should not be tickled until they are old enough to consent. I can’t help but wonder if he applies the same logic to hugs, holding their hands and spinning them around, tossing them up in the air…all ‘violate’ their space don’t they? I could be wrong but I think it’s termed ‘playing with children’. What would he prefer to replace it with? A discussion on boundaries and the psychological and emotional impact of only interacting with your child on a purely academic level? Bell end!

What makes it all the more incredible is that Brand says that he believes he is ‘too sensitive’ to change nappies and that his ‘romantic, reflective, religious world view’ prevents him from being a full-time parent. It does beg the question then whether he is really qualified to call for a ban on anything that is even remotely connected to parenting doesn’t it? I’ve never had kids but I am fairly sure that most parents are more concerned with loving their children and raising them in a safe stable environment than they are with ensuring that their personal space isn’t violated!

Is this really where our World is headed? Our right to freedom of speech is gradually being eradicated by political correctness, we are divided to the point of violence by politics, our schools teach equality and diversity rather than maths and English and now tickling is offensive?? Give me a break! This is why I don’t watch the News: the blatant stupidity that one finds within it!

Rant over, I am going to read a book ;O)

What about you? Do you keep abreast of the News and, if so, how to you keep from tearing your hair out? Better yet, what’s the most ridiculous News story you’ve heard this week? Let me know, I’d love to hear from you.

14 comments for “In the News……

1. February 1, 2019 at 12:00 pm

Nopes! No news is good news, that’s my mantra!

2. LA
    February 1, 2019 at 12:36 pm

I usually watch at least part of a news entertainment morning show, and then I get a news feed from a few newspaper so I sporadically check through the day. It’s funny but I know I heard something ridiculous yesterday but I can’t think of it, but I’ll end with paternity tests on orangutans at some zoo, and the cagemate was not the father of the new baby, but the female orangutan was attracted to one from the cage next door because he had cheek pads, which in orangutan world is synonymous with hot

3. February 1, 2019 at 3:04 pm

News is bad for you, you should know better!
    I recall a tremendous social media outcry when David Beckham was photographed kissing his daughter ON THE LIPS! On the LIPS for goodness sake. How terrible. He should be locked up. Obviously a pedophile!
    What happened to sanity, common sense, humanity, and living in harmony?
    I’ll now go away and hug my cat. I hope she doesn’t report me!

• February 1, 2019 at 3:23 pm

I should know better Peter, you’re right and I’ve decided to have my own little news embargo for the next few days until the stress wears off ;O)
      I don’t remember the Beckham kissing scandal – probably just as well! As for sanity, common sense, humanity and living in harmony – I think it all went out the window when the World shrunk to the size of an iphone ;O)
      Give your cat a hug from me – I love cats :O) (shit! am I allowed to say that?? Will I be accused of being a catophile???) xx

4. February 1, 2019 at 7:10 pm

Too sensitive to change nappies, I can hear mothers and fathers alike taking a sharp intake of breath! Now I must confess at this point that Cyberspouse didn’t change nappies, it made him feel sick, couldn’t feed our babies as he didn’t have breasts and was too scared to bath in the tiny first weeks, but as I have explained to superdad son and superdad son-in-law, that didn’t matter as he brought cups of tea, entertained them while I was catching up or cooked dinners while I was relaxing feeding. Not to mention earning our keep.
    Reading that no tickle policy made me realise that babies and children can’t have total autonomy, they can’t live by themselves so therefore they are a part of their parents or carers, tickles, cuddles, being bathed come with that. I can remember being totally embarassed when I was eleven and Dad held my hand to cross the road – children set their own rate of independence.

5. February 2, 2019 at 4:11 am

“Do you keep abreast of the News and, if so, how to you keep from tearing your hair out?” Yes, I watch the news. It offers fodder for my blog. I am already bald, so tearing my hair out is not a concern.