I Have a Question For You..

Yes all of you, if you don’t mind and you’ve got a minute or two spare. You see, I’ve been thinking a lot over the last few days about this World we live in and what a mess its in and from that my thoughts turned to the people in charge (I use this terms loosely) i.e. the politicians. On one side of the pond we have Theresa May, scrabbling to hold on to tail of the tiger that is Brexit and, on the other, we have Donald Trump  who seems to be shooting himself in the foot by refusing to let go of the idea that a $5.6 billion wall will solve all the country’s problems.

My question to you is:

If you were in charge of the US or the UK what would you do differently to Mrs May or Mr Trump?

i have a question for you 1The thing is, we are all ready to criticise their efforts but could we do a better job in their position? Everyone views politics according to their own agenda; if you’re poor you’ll want higher taxes for the rich, if you’re rich you’ll want lower taxes and there are arguments for both, that’s the real problem. All development in societies requires change and human beings really don’t like change, especially if change is imposed upon them by people they didn’t vote for.

We have two nations that are currently divided down the middle: leavers and remainers in the UK and the left and the right in the US. In each case one group is determined to loathe the other and, worse still, to prove them wrong whatever the cost may be and there will be a cost because one side will have to lose. The really sad thing is that there no longer seems to be anyone in the middle; sitting on the fence, however uncomfortable that may be, doesn’t seem to be an option.

We are emotionally bludgeoned by the media, social and otherwise, to take a position and fight for it regardless of whether the final outcome will have any direct impact on us or not. Things which were once of the slightest political importance are now portrayed as major disasters that will cause the fall of a nation. We no longer view our politicians as leaders who will make sensible decisions for their people but rather as either Gods or Demons. We put them high on a pedestal, demand perfection from them and then dance on their political graves when they prove that they are merely human. Either that or we refuse to listen to their ideas because they are on the ‘wrong’ side; what, in your opinion, can we do to change such rigid perceptions?i-have-a-question-for-you-2.jpg

To answer my own question: I would not lie to the people who’d put their faith in me.

Theresa May is telling people that she will fight to get out of Brexit but it’s fairly obvious that her heart really isn’t in it. Wouldn’t it be better just to say ‘OK guys we’ve made a complete pig’s ear of all this so we’re going to give it another year or so to try and put things right rather than creating a huge mess that’s going to take forever to properly sort out’. Of course, she won’t say that because the whole nation would be up in arms……but wait, isn’t that what’s happening now?

As for Donald Trump, his ‘spin’ (a political word for lying) is legendary but I wonder if his popularity would be greater if he just came out and said ‘Yes you’re right, the Mexicans never agreed to pay for the wall so you will have to foot the bill whether you like it or not because I’m President’. He’s arrogant enough to do just that but without admitting that he lied and if he can lie about that, what else will he lie about?

The way I see it, 50% of Theresa May should be grafted onto Donald Trump and vice versa. May is an apologist who will try to appease the masses while simultaneously dragging everyone into a politically correct World where hurting someone’s feelings can be deemed a ‘hate crime’ thereby stifling free speech and causing unnecessary, frustrated anger. Trump will do whatever it takes to create an America that is, in his view, great, not caring that he is often viewed as a racist, misogynistic, bigoted bully and someone to whom political correctness is just something that happens to other people.

i have a question for you 3People are not stupid, they can cope with being told the truth. What they cannot cope with is fear and change and, thanks to mass hysteria on the likes of Twitter and ‘left’ and ‘right’ news networks that is what people are having to deal with constantly.

So, what would you do? What do you think should happen to bring the people of these two nations back together and stop the divide which is such an enormous threat to them both? Please let me know, I’d love to hear from you.

22 comments for “I Have a Question For You..

1. January 28, 2019 at 1:31 pm

That is hard – I have never had any desire to be a leader, I don’t think I know the answer. My evil doppleganger thinks it would be good to remove anyone who is not a good citizen and dump them all on that plastic island in the middle of the ocean. It is simple to define a good citizen, they care about the environment and fellow citizens; they are not perfect, but they would find a way to co-operate and work hard to improve society.

2. January 28, 2019 at 1:47 pm

I would start by being honest. Then I would listen to the people, all the regular citizens. I would look at the polling from ALL the sources on both sides of the political spectrum so that we could start by solving problems that the vast majority think are important to solve.
    I truly believe that there is common ground, and starting there would hopefully build a sense of rapport or unity or commonality or whatever. That sense of unity could then be used to move forward with the problems that are a little bit more polarizing.
    I believe we have to do this together, or we will never fix what’s broken

3. January 28, 2019 at 2:46 pm

When the ego and self interest is greater the the love of country and its people, than it doesn’t matter where you are in charge, you are going to make a huge mess.

4. January 28, 2019 at 5:56 pm

John McCain said it best, we have to get back to regular order. Forcing bills through or imposing executive action has damaged the process. We have to return to compromise. Throughout the world we have a billion different opinions on everything, so of course our politicians will disagree about solutions.

Let’s take the recent shutdown for example. Donald Trump, and his base, want a wall. It’s a medieval solution to a modern problem in my opinion but not everyone shares that view. The view that everyone does share (left, right, and in-between) is that we have a border problem. An immigration problem we need to address. Not a crisis, a problem. How do we fix it? Who knows, but there are a lot of ideas out there.

The compromise that should be made is this: agree on a sum of funds, maybe the $5.7 billion – maybe less, maybe more – and earmark it for “border security” in the budget. It might be a wall. It might be drones and judges.It might be some combination of those things. Then, you take that money, facilitate a bi-partisan appropriations committee, and utilize that money in a well-reasoned, debated, and thoroughly vetted manner. That’s regular order!

5. January 28, 2019 at 7:08 pm

I wish I could come up with a brilliant answer, but I am neither smart enough nor savvy enough to do so. I know all politicians lie, but Trump certainly has made a fine art of it. Unfortunately, both Brexit and Trump owe their “successes” to Russia, so the first thing to do is to admit that and do something to punish Russia. I don’t know about May, but Trump is doing the opposite, kowtowing to Putin and easing or removing sanctions against Russia and/or its corrupt oligarchs. I think it’s time, one way or the other, for Trump to be removed from office. Because if that doesn’t happen soon, America will turn into an autocracy instead of a democracy and will have a dictator instead of a president as its leader. In fact, that may already be the case.

6. January 29, 2019 at 5:01 am

I would try and go for as collaborative an approach as possible, Here in Australia I get fed up with all the oppositional parties arguing and tearing each other down but of course everyone has different values. This is not easy to answer as it must be very complex to run a country but I would definitely be putting the environment first. Here in Australia I would be getting refugees out of detention to stop the damage being done and I would be consulting with indigenous peoples more on issues that concern us all. I would be making sure that those who can help or profit from business put some money into helping those less fortunate. I would be spending less on lavish money burners like fireworks (sorry to seem a party pooper but could we not scale it down a bit and put some of that money into something more nurturing of people.) Just some ideas but as far as politics goes I am not super literate.

7. January 30, 2019 at 3:58 pm

Ooo an interesting one! I think it’s almost taken as fact now that politicians lie. When we voted to leave the EU here in the UK, we didn’t get what we’d voted for, it was all smoke and mirrors. And now, with Theresa May, I wish she would have done the decent thing and walked away a long time ago. There definitely needs to be more transparency, a fresh slate where the truth gets to the people who have to put their faith in these prime ministers and presidents. Difficult times indeed…xx

8. January 31, 2019 at 11:37 am

First thing I would do is find a way of forcing news media to be impartial in their reporting. I am not talking about censorship but an enforcable code of practice and making them back up their assertions with actual published evidence.
    Sadly, for me, the divisions are not mendable. It may reflect badly on me but I have no intention of speaking to my UKIP supporting neighbours again.

• January 31, 2019 at 11:48 am

You mean go back to the days before the ‘left’ and ‘right’ media was established? Good idea!
      Why? Are they good neighbours otherwise? Xx

• January 31, 2019 at 12:06 pm

To be honest we never communicated much even before the referendum. But seeing him shout abuse at an Indian couple walking past was the last straw. So basically probably ok neighbours provided you are white British. x

• January 31, 2019 at 1:54 pm

Ah OK fair enough, I can see why you’d want to cut all lines of communication ;O) x

9. January 31, 2019 at 11:38 pm

A pretty balanced look at the world of politics. I am a supporter of Trump, although I do have issues with many things that he has done.
    I will say this, I wouldn’t want the job…

• February 1, 2019 at 5:41 am

No I don’t think I would either Billy – whatever you do you’ll upset someone 😉 xx