Apparently I Need Help…….

This may not come as a shock to those of you who know me and I do wonder myself some days but I was quite surprised to be told that I need help by a journalist. The fact that it wasn’t just me she was addressing but all ‘women over 50’ didn’t make me feel any better! So, what now? Another bit of me is going to dry up or drop off? A scientist has decided that I should stop going to the gym because my skeleton is busy crumbling to dust inside my wrinkled skin?

Nope, none of the above. Apparently I need help to find a swimming costume (WTF? I hear you say, as well you may). It seems that, as a result of my advancing years, I will develop a phobia of 20 something girls in bikinis and, every time I go swimming, I’ll need to tread water for days at a time in case one of the young lovelies sees me and mocks my aging body. Apparently, for me, bikinis are no longer an option because my ‘jiggly belly’ will be exposed and my boobs have plunged.

1920 swimming costumeThe journalist advocated that, to avoid all this trauma, I should spend Β£140 on a swimming costume which is the aquatic version of Spanx; apparently the low cut leg and wide straps should make me feel less ‘self-conscious’. What is the thinking behind this I wonder? Does the journalist assume that an over 50 lady garden will have run riot to the point that a high cut leg will be unable to contain the expanding hedgerow? Maybe she’s thinking of the back view, perhaps 50 year old arses cannot be trusted to remain contained in anything other than reinforced long drawers? Will the wide straps ensure that my boobs won’t try to make a bid for freedom and swipe someone round the back of the knees?

I’m not really sure what I’m more insulted about to be honest:

• The fact that my advancing years mean that I no longer have the mental capacity toΒ  buy a swimsuit without ‘help’
  • The fact that it’s been suggested that anyone over 50 shouldn’tΒ be wearing a bikini
  • The fact that, allegedly, reaching your 50th birthday comes with a free gift of paranoia and a fear of what 20 something’s might think

All of the above I think. I bought 2 bikinis this summer, all by myself. They are both halterneck and high leg and, to my knowledge nothing escaped (well except that time when I went diving and one boob fell out but, what the hell, I was under water and managed to pop it back in before anyone noticed).

micro bikiniWhilst I am ready to admit I have a certain degree of envy when I look at the perky little 20 something’s in their dental floss bikinis I certainly don’t imagine that they have any thoughts about me at all. All they seem to be thinking about are the 20 something hunks, flashing their abs and their perfect white teeth which is just as it should be!

At the end of this journalistic master piece the author asked “Is it just me”? Yes love, it’s just you; I’m not giving up my bikini any time soon for you or anyone else……

What do you think? Should older women be more ‘discreet’ in what they wear or should we be free to let it all hang out and have fun? Let me know, I’d love to hear from you.

34 comments for “Apparently I Need Help…….

1. November 5, 2018 at 9:29 am

Reblogged this on anita dawes and jaye marie.

2. November 5, 2018 at 9:29 am

I think it’s about wearing what you are personally comfortable with, and that includes your personality,….. but who am I to say……. Ivor the 67 year-old surf-beach swimmer….

• November 5, 2018 at 10:16 am

Quite right Ivor and, as a 67 year old surf-beach swimmer you are exactly the right person to say it :O) x

• November 5, 2018 at 10:24 am

Cool 😎, and myself a short sleeve protective swimming vest for the summer ahead. 😊 πŸŠπŸ„

• November 5, 2018 at 10:34 am

May I ask what it protects you from? The sun, jelly fish, surfers, over-enthusiastic women?

• November 5, 2018 at 10:39 am

Hope the sun, and keep me a bit warmer, the water is still cold here in the south, and as for those beach babe’s, I’m at the legal age of the a wide eyed observer πŸ™„πŸ™„

• November 5, 2018 at 10:48 am

Said with such innocence ;O) x

3. November 5, 2018 at 9:32 am

Do what feels good (for you, sod the know-it-alls) I wear what I like, whether it suits me or my age…

4. November 5, 2018 at 9:56 am

Basically do what pleases you and what you feel comfortable in.. that’s my take on it.

5. November 5, 2018 at 10:47 am

Obviously the article was written by a MAN. What does he knows? Nothing. Do what you think is right, that my take on things like these. πŸ˜ƒ

• November 5, 2018 at 10:49 am

Actually, no, it was written by a woman; had it been a man saying it I just would have ignored it…;O) x

• November 5, 2018 at 12:04 pm

I must say that she would be writing to just write , if you know what I mean!

• November 5, 2018 at 12:08 pm

Yes I think that you’re right

6. November 5, 2018 at 12:28 pm

I see a lot of older bodies looking much better than 20 something bodies these days. I’m going to dress how I feel comfortable and I think I look pretty good β€œfor my age” πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

7. November 5, 2018 at 2:56 pm

I wear a mankini when swimming. It’s handy for keeping my keys and money in!

8. November 5, 2018 at 2:57 pm

I remember a summer day when I was a kid we visited my great-aunt Laura. She was 60-ish. Led a fascinating life to say the least and was kind of short and round. A direct quote by the way.

On this special day she took me to a busy grocery store. With a cigarette dangling from her fire engine red lips and wearing nothing but a bra we enter the store and buy our goodies.

Aunt Laura could care less. She was happy and free and did as she pleased and so should you. Wear whatever the hell you want. Be happy and enjoy this crazy world.

I believe we all have a little bit of my great-aunt Laura in us and that includes you. πŸ™‚

9. November 5, 2018 at 3:30 pm

I know a lot of woman over 50 who look good in bikinis, including my wife. That said, my advice: if it feels good, do it.

• November 5, 2018 at 4:31 pm

She’ll definitely want to read that comment ;O)
      I’m with you – do what makes you happy x

10. November 5, 2018 at 4:43 pm

Oh hell, be yourself. That is the beauty and grace of us older women. Wear what is comfortable for you. Comfort at our age far outweighs what other people think of our choice. We ‘know’ by the look on their face and can quietly amuse ourselves in the process as we sip on that MaiTai or tall glass of tea.

11. November 6, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Wear what you want, and the hell with journalists have to say

12. November 7, 2018 at 6:17 pm

I found your blog by searching bikini. I really enjoyed this post and being a 50 something Male, I must confess this fact: whilst I find the younger woman to be eye candy, it is more attractive to me to see a more mature woman who is truly secure with herself. Vanity is skin deep, but character and style and mental capacity far outweigh nearly flawless skin. Give me a bright, sensitive, adventurous and caring woman and I will shower her with love and affection, spoiling her to no end.