Autumn – MIA

Seasons tend to be pretty orderly and follow on one from another without too much fuss but not here apparently, we seem to have gone straight from summer to winter in the space of one week. 7 days ago I was basking in wall to wall sunshine in shorts and a t-shirt and now I’m in socks, jeans and jumpers; what the hell happened to autumn?????

We are pretty lucky here in the South of France as we have around 300 days of sunshine a year and it’s not the wishy washy kind either, it’s the forget your sunglasses at your peril kind. However, when we do have bad weather it’s really, really bad; there are definitely no half measures here! Saturday found me bored out of my mind as I was stuck in the apartment while howling winds and torrential rain did their thing outside from the moment I got up to when I went to bed. It’s very much outdoor living here so, when we have days like this, everyone, unless they have to work, stays indoors and moans about the terrible weather…

IMG_6574

Yesterday started off the same way and then, all of a sudden at about 3pm, it stopped raining. Yippee! I grabbed my trainers, clapped my headphones to my ears and was out the door like a rat up a drainpipe – fast! I decided to take a walk along the coastal path and boy am I glad I did; I love being near the sea at the best of times but yesterday I could just feel its power and it was magnificent. My intention with this walk was to burn of some of the energy that I’d built up during my enforced incarceration the day before but I had to keep stopping to take photo after photo. The headphones came off so that I could appreciate the unbelievable roar of the ocean and, in the end, I just stood there and watched with a huge smile on my face.

Today the skies are dark, the wind is depositing garden furniture all over the place and it’s raining again but my spirits are still lifted after my commune with the best that nature has to offer. I still don’t know what happened to autumn so I’ve listed it as missing in action…

Have a wonderful day everyone :O)

40 comments for “Autumn – MIA

1. October 29, 2018 at 7:41 am

Reblogged this on anita dawes and jaye marie.

2. October 29, 2018 at 7:43 am

Your post made me smile this morning, which is pretty good for a Monday morning! I need a few ‘ocean’ moments now, as you have reminded me just how amazing they are…

• October 29, 2018 at 8:05 am

If it made you smile. I’m happy :O)
      You’re right they’re amazing; I’ve lived by the ocean for more than 2 years now and can’t imagine being anywhere else xx

• October 29, 2018 at 8:46 am

This is at the top of my bucket list! To be able to go anytime I feel the need would be wonderful…

3. October 29, 2018 at 7:53 am

I am in Australia and the spring so far is, frankly, summer weather or winter weather. The happy medium of soft gentle sunshine breaking through rough chills of the winter, so far, have not made an appearance. Maybe the earth is confused. Beautiful pics BTW, thank you.

• October 29, 2018 at 8:06 am

It does make you wonder doesn’t it, the weather does seem to be a little out of sorts at the moment. Thanks for your comment and have a great day :O) x

4. Dodge
    October 29, 2018 at 8:06 am

Super pictures and now you know why I love cruising! The sea can be all things from power to peace, from the crashing waves to the spiritual peace of gliding through a Norwegian Fjord. It makes and allows you to think how lucky we are to experience the wide variety that life offers.
    Just to temper your frustration as far as the weather is concerned remember it could be worse. The first time we visited Bergen it was raining stair rods and when I commented I was told it rains 300 days a year and on the other 65 it snows!
    I didn’t like to ask about Leap years.
    It’s sunny here this morning!!!

• October 29, 2018 at 8:14 am

Thanks Dodge :O) Yes I can totally understand your love of the sea (although I’m still not sure about cruising) it’s ever changing but always beautiful. Thanks for the tip – I won’t bother visiting Bergen!
      Enjoy the sunshine – I would say send some this way but that would just be being greedy ;O)
      We’re set for another 24 hours of rain and howling winds; I have to go out this morning and I have a feeling that an umbrella will be next to useless!
      Love to you both xx

• Dodge
        October 29, 2018 at 9:04 am

You need an umbrella company thenπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• October 29, 2018 at 11:09 am

hee hee hee hee :O) xx

5. October 29, 2018 at 8:15 am

We are in Spring in Australia and it’s slowly warming up. We are all as crook as a dog, as my husband just said and we are still wearing jumpers

• October 29, 2018 at 8:18 am

Unfortunately the changing seasons often bring germs – hope it warms up soon :O) x

6. October 29, 2018 at 8:18 am

Red wine is helping

7. blindzanygirl
    October 29, 2018 at 8:42 am

I LOVE your last line Lisa. Lol. I had to laugh xo

8. October 29, 2018 at 1:10 pm

You live in a beautiful region. I love the pictures and your post. I have watched the weather patterns shift and change over the past several years here in the USA. Climate change is quite real. You can see the trends at NOAA and of course the news around the world. In my humble opinion, both governments and humans must change their priorities if humanity as a whole is to survive. Especially here in the USA.

• October 29, 2018 at 1:14 pm

It is exceptionally beautiful and I count myself very lucky to live here :O)
      Yes I think you’re absolutely right; we need to have a massive rethink if the human race is going to survive….

9. October 29, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing

10. October 29, 2018 at 2:50 pm

We’re off to the Northumberland coast at the end of the week. Can’t wait to get my Autumn dose of sea and wind. Nothing quite like it for blowing the cobwebs away!

11. October 29, 2018 at 8:18 pm

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing!❀

Some JD with coke did the trick for me! πŸ˜‰

12. October 30, 2018 at 12:34 am

Hey Lisa, great post and some wonderfully cracking photography of the sea and Mother Nature at her very best πŸ™‚

I have tagged you for the Hocus Pocus questions πŸ™‚

• October 30, 2018 at 7:09 am

Morning Rory :O) Thank you, I love photography and it’s so easy to find a good shot over here.

Excellent, that’s my post sorted for this morning, I’ll get right on it – thanks so much :O) xx

13. October 30, 2018 at 1:01 am

What beautiful pics of a beautiful day😍

14. October 30, 2018 at 2:17 am

Indeed Lisa, nature, in many respects, is amazingly majestic. For those who have a strong affinity with water, close proximity to it (in nearly all forms) is a gift. Having moved from Seattle to the high desert Southwest, I can (and do) appreciate your blue skies and sunshine. Enjoy!

• October 30, 2018 at 7:11 am

It’s strange you should say that Eric, I do find that I am always calmer when I’m close to water :O)
      Ah so you’re another one who’s followed the sunshine; it certainly does raise the spirits doesn’t it? x

15. October 30, 2018 at 4:39 pm

Completely different subject, but while I am here….have you thought any further about a therapy dog or getting a pet?

• October 30, 2018 at 4:42 pm

I thought very long and hard but it’s just not the right time for several reasons. I’d like to have pets again one day but not right now.

16. October 30, 2018 at 7:10 pm

Oh my gosh! Those pics are so beautiful! Yeah I know how you feelπŸ˜… So Cal is BARELY feeling like fallπŸ˜“

• October 30, 2018 at 8:44 pm

Thanks that’s really kind 😊
      No it seems to be missing for lots of people this year