Do Not Read This Post…

I mean it, walk away now please, it’s honestly for your own good. Read someone else’s blog or a book, do something in the garden or watch TV but do not, I beg you, read this post.

You’re reading it aren’t you? Why do we do that I wonder? Curiosity, morbid or otherwise, perhaps? It’s like when someone says ‘don’t think of a pink elephant’; what’s the first thing that pops into your mind? Yep you’ve got it! ‘Don’t’ is an instruction which gets our attention and ‘pink elephant’, the words that follow, become our focus and all of  sudden we can’t think of anything else other than rose tinted pachyderms.

Anyway, to get back to the point of all this………..

Imagine, if you will, that you have been locked in a room by a person or persons unknown; you went to bed last night and just woke up in this room. You have none of your personal effects other than your PJ’s and the room is completely bare. The walls floor and ceiling are all painted stark white. The only thing in this room in fact, other than you, is a large red button and on it are the words:

DO NOT PRESS

How long would it be before you pushed the button? 5 minutes? An hour? A day? How long would you retain your sanity if you didn’t press the button? You’re locked in a room with nothing to do, read, or listen to; you’d go crazy in no time wouldn’t you?

Pushing the button may cause an explosion that could result in your death but it could be the release for the door which would result in your freedom. Not pushing it means that nothing will change, as far as you know, you will be trapped for ever more in a sterile white box with nothing to do and no-one to talk to…..

What would you do?.

Of course all of this – the white room and the button – is just a metaphor for life.  Only by taking action will we see a change; it may be a positive change or it may be negative, we can never know, but isn’t it better than sitting in a sterile white room, doing nothing, waiting for the end of life or our sanity?

What do you think? I’d love to hear from you

31 comments for “Do Not Read This Post…

1. October 4, 2018 at 8:09 am

Yeah… I’m a button pusher and I have zero self control. It’s gonna happen!

2. October 4, 2018 at 9:26 am

I’ll definitely press that button..hope in real life too I could take action n change something..great post..thanks for sharing☺️🤗

3. LA
    October 4, 2018 at 11:09 am

Good post…I would be weighing out pros and cons..

• October 4, 2018 at 4:20 pm

Thank you 🙏 I admire your restraint 😊 xx

• LA
        October 4, 2018 at 8:02 pm

My logic is go for it, unless the end result could be that you end up getting eaten by a monster. I had no way of knowing if pushing the button would result in my being eaten by a monster

• October 5, 2018 at 4:17 am

This is excellent logic 😊 XX

• LA
        October 5, 2018 at 11:11 am

😉

4. October 4, 2018 at 12:23 pm

You have raised a very interesting point! I don’t know what I would do!

5. October 4, 2018 at 12:59 pm

I think I would probably wait a very long time before I pushed that button. In a parenting class eons ago I learned that you should never start a sentence with “don’t.” If you say “Don’t forget your keys,” it’s more likely that the person will forget their keys. Remember your keys is more effective. Does this apply here? Maybe I’m just babbling.

• October 4, 2018 at 4:24 pm

Nope definitely no babbling there Sheri, you’re right about not using a negative in that situation although I’m not quite sure why it has that effect 😊 xx

6. October 4, 2018 at 1:25 pm

It’s not only boredom that makes us press that button. I think I’d press it even if I had countless other things to do. Having a big red button in your room, with a ‘do not press’ sign on it is irresistible!

7. October 4, 2018 at 3:12 pm

I would push that button cause there is a saying..”curiosity killed a cat”. All humans gets curious and wonder

8. October 4, 2018 at 4:02 pm

Ohh I so would press the button🙂 You’re right about the how we’re curious about everything. I am. That’s why I read the entire post😅. Nice post!🖤

9. John W
    October 4, 2018 at 8:03 pm

I always cringe whenever I see signs on our motorways saying ‘Don’t drink and drive’. How many people will drink as a result of seeing that? Quite a few I’d wager. The subconscious thinks in simple terms only and will grab onto the message while ignoring anything too complex, including negatives like ‘don’t’.

A great article. 👍

• October 5, 2018 at 4:18 am

I hadn’t thought of that, good point.

Thanks John 😊 x

10. October 4, 2018 at 8:34 pm

I didn’t read the post so, of course, I do not know whether I would push the button or not!

11. October 4, 2018 at 10:18 pm

first of all, great question!
    I would hope I would push the button, but I would first have the thought that pushing the button would start off some horrible chain reaction that I couldn’t stop……then I would get pissed off enough, scream at the top of my lungs for someone to get me out of there, lay down and cry for a while and then get pissed off again and eventually hit the button while praying!