Going Down?

Have you ever had one of those moments when you just can’t seem to fathom what’s going on and rather than mentally reaching for the simplest explanation, you arrive at the most unlikely? Logic points you in one direction but your inbuilt sense of drama takes you in quite another……

I had a moment like that yesterday; for those of you who read my stuff regularly this will not come as a surprise. To explain, the vast majority of parking in Monaco is underground (bear with me things will become clear) so, as I have an almost pathological dislike of stairs I am frequently in lifts. I have left my car underground so to get back to the surface I hit the button marked 0 – logical yes? Good; bear this in mind……

The other day I decided to go out for a long walk (around 6.5km) and, in the spirit of adventure, I took a new route. I did not get lost which came as something of a surprise but at the 4kmish mark I was faced with a choice: lots of stairs or a lift; you can guess which option I took. I stepped into the lift, hit the button marked 0 and danced around a bit as one of my favourite tracks was blasting away on my headphones…..what? I was on my own and as far as I know there were no cameras (note to self: check YouTube later).

Confused 2Anyway, after a few seconds I realised that the doors hadn’t opened, “On my God I’m trapped!!!” was the thought that sprang immediately into my mind. The lift was really small and felt as though it was becoming smaller by the second. I span round and looked at the panel on the wall, thank God, there’s a button to open the door, what a relief. I hit the button and the lift doors dutifully opened. That’s odd, I thought, that doesn’t look like where I’m supposed to be……

It took another few seconds for me to realise that what I was seeing was the path that led to the lift………which hadn’t moved an inch……was it broken or what? Was I going to be forced to take the stairs??? I looked. There were a lot of stairs and my legs ached…oh hang on a minute, there’s a sign…it took a minute to translate and it said nothing at all about the lift being broken. Hmmmm.

I stepped back into the lift and revisited the panel. Had I missed something? Yes. I had. I was not in a car park. The entrance to the lift was on the ground floor….getting there, come on brain. I had pressed 0…..yep nearly there………I need to go up…….keep going…….oooohhhhhhhh (realisation strikes), I should have pressed 1. Yes folks there were only two buttons and I had pressed the wrong one; I’m really not very bright sometimes………..

Anyway, on that note, I’m off.  Not permanently but I’m going back to Blighty for a few days, I’ve scheduled a couple of posts just so you don’t forget about me while I’m gone but I won’t be about very much so, if I don’t respond, please don’t think I’m ignoring you :O)

Lisa

x

14 comments for “Going Down?

1. September 24, 2018 at 6:58 am

Gotta say – I very easily could have done that and continue to do it many times. so been there!

• September 24, 2018 at 7:06 am

Glad I’m not the only scatterbrain around here :O) x

• September 24, 2018 at 7:21 am

once got locked in a toilet – half way up a busy staircase in a museum. … was to embarassed to shout out, I waited til I thought no-one was on the stairs, then kept trying the handle, pushing the door backwards and forwards, couldn’t get the door to open. “I’m going to have to shout for help” I tried one last time – it was a sliding door.

• September 24, 2018 at 8:03 am

Laughs!! A lot! That was so funny Tim. I’ve never been locked in a toilet but I did go into a very posh one in London somewhere that had mirrors on all the walls and doors – took me ages to find my way out ;O) xx

2. blindzanygirl
    September 24, 2018 at 7:02 am

Oh lol. Have a WONDERFUL time here in dear ole Blighty! Xo

3. September 24, 2018 at 7:12 am

Happens to most of us at one time or another. I have made bloopers like this often and panicking is a logical reaction, if you don’t realize your mistake.

• September 24, 2018 at 8:01 am

Nice to know that my reaction was not as illogical as I thought ;O) Thanks so much for taking the time to comment Sadje :O) x

4. September 24, 2018 at 1:40 pm

Sounds like something I would do😉

5. September 24, 2018 at 2:04 pm

You are not alone! Enjoy the break.

6. September 24, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Only after I had done this 100 or or times, I have learned (in the states at least) there is always a star next to the floor that will let you OUT into the world, because oftentimes it is not labeled g