Airhead….

Have you ever done something undeniably dumb but then couldn’t stop giggling about it afterwards? You know you should probably be embarrassed but you just can’t help but see the funny side? I think of it as brain fog; one minute your thoughts are progressing through your brain in a perfectly orderly fashion then the fog descends and they start stumbling around and bumping into things…….

machineI had a moment like that yesterday. I was in the gym with my best friend and we’d just finished using a piece of equipment which works out pecs on one side and biceps on the other (it looks a bit like the machine that Sigourney Weaver climbed into in the film Aliens). Anyhoo, when you’re done with said machine you have to take off the weights and put them back where you found them; feeling in an uncommonly helpful mood I decided to take on that task myself.

Now, in my defense, the rack where the weights are stored is right next to the bench press machine; the significance of this will become clear….

“What are you doing”? My best friend asked

“Putting the weights back”

“They don’t go there”

I should explain that my friend is one of those who believes the old adage ‘a place for everything and everything in it’s place’ whereas I’m more of a ‘there’s a place and it fits’ (I apply the same logic to crosswords).

“I know but I can’t see any other 5kg’s, that’ll do”

I was mildly miffed that he was telling me off for not putting things back in exactly the right place when he could, in fact, be helping. I calmly carried on replacing the weights with a martyred sigh.

“It’s not that” he said, grinning “You’ve just added 7.5kg to the bar on the bench press machine”

“What?” Brain fog still swirling but beginning to dissipate….

“Look!”

He pointed to an extremely bemused Frenchman who was obviously trying to figure out why the airhead English bird was adding weights to the machine he was using rather than putting them back on the rack where they belong.

It took several uncomfortable moments for the brain fog to clear during which time I was getting slightly annoyed and everyone else was looking at me and waiting for the penny to drop………

“Oh merde!” the sound of a penny dropping (in French)

Once I’d stop giggling at my own stupidity, I apologised profusely to the poor man who took it rather well considering. Mind you I couldn’t help but wonder why he didn’t say anything instead of calmly watching me do it…….

Have you ever had a complete airhead moment or has brain fog ever descended at an inappropriate moment? Let me know, I’d love to hear from you

23 comments for “Airhead….

1. September 14, 2018 at 8:07 am

God I’ve had so many of them I cannot even recall one right now. But I just loved the humour in this, being able to laugh at yourself is the best. πŸ™‚

2. September 14, 2018 at 9:07 am

Like the comment above – I can imagine you imagining that I also have many of these…. I’ll need to keep some for my blog but here’s one. At xmas, back in the day of huddling round a coal fire. We were opening presents and burning the wrapping paper. I got a brand new pair of gloves. Wrapping paper in hand, I threw the gloves straight onto the fire….
    I have a tendency to get things the wrong way round πŸ™‚

3. September 14, 2018 at 9:25 am

lol you’ve made my morning coffee time a fun one.

4. blindzanygirl
    September 14, 2018 at 9:50 am

Well, waaaaaay back in time when I had a holiday job in an office in our town, (I was 16 at the time) I was told to take a sheaf of papers and run them through some machine or other, and then take them back to the office. Dumbbead here could not for the LIFE of me think how to get the sheaf of papers into the right order again, with the bottom one at the top, as it had been, and so on. Do you get the picture? Not very good at describing it. I was walking across a huge yard with the papers in my hand, going bananas trying to think how to do it. BRAIN FOG. And I was the one who was MEANT to be intelligent!

I got back to the office and STILL could not think how to do it! I placed the sheaf of papers on the top of a tall filing caninet, to give myself time to think. BUT SUDDENLY they all disappeared. They had slid down gracefully behind the filing cabinet, and there was NO WAY of getting them back. Well, I nearly shitted myself! I was alone. Had NO idea what to do. I started to sweat and ferl sick. Seriously sick. I went to the Supervisor and asked to go home because I felt ill. I would remedy the situation in the morning when I felt better again.

That evening I told a man who was a fried,vwhat had ha
    Pened. He created so e weird and wonderful kind of implement that would reach down behind the cabinet ane retrieve the papers. I told him I could not
    oSSIBLY be seen carrying THAT thing. He said, β€œDon’t you worry. If anybody asks you what it is, just say kt’s a snobtrundler.” Lol

Well, the next morning I really WAS sick, and did not return to work. In fact, I never returned again as I was sick for a while. The snobtrundler never saw the light of day, and for all I know, the sheaf of papers is still there behind the filing cabinet! That was over fifty years ago lol

• September 14, 2018 at 10:03 am

Love this Lorraine, sooo funny πŸ˜†πŸ€£πŸ˜‚ xx

5. September 14, 2018 at 3:41 pm

Unfortunately, β€˜airhead brain fog’ is pretty much my default mode πŸ˜ŠπŸ˜‚ REALLY enjoyed your post…😊😊😊

6. September 14, 2018 at 7:38 pm

too many to count

7. September 14, 2018 at 11:25 pm

Such a sentiment is one’s inner comedian taking notes and providing a running commentary. All smart people experience this.

• September 15, 2018 at 4:44 am

Knowing it’s because I’m smart makes me feel a lot better about doing something dumb πŸ˜‰ thanks so much for your comment 😊 x

8. September 15, 2018 at 12:59 am

Hilarious!

9. September 15, 2018 at 2:10 am

I’ve had too many to count LOL

10. September 15, 2018 at 7:33 am

Oh you mean, “brain farts”? PLENTY of times! πŸ˜€

11. September 15, 2018 at 3:38 pm

My first thought was, ” Have you met me?”. Then I realized that no you haven’t. I assure you this is my life in a nutshell. And certainly one of the reasons for my name…graceful…..NOT!