If you Don’t Like it, Don’t do It!

How many of you remember Tommy Cooper? He used to tell this joke about going to the doctor and saying “My arm really hurts when I do this”; the doctor’s replies “Well don’t do it then”. Not a particularly funny joke but really great advice don’t you think? How much of your life do you spend doing things you don’t like? Maybe you hate your job, you’re unhappy in your relationship, don’t like the way you look? If so, I have a question for you – why do you keep doing things you don’t enjoy?

Responsibility?

Sure, you can’t just give up work, for instance, you have to eat, but why do a job that you hate? You could argue that you have a family to look after and your job pays the bills but do you think that the people who love you really want to see you unhappy when you set out for work and stressed when you get home? What’s to stop you finding another job or even re-training in order to do something completely different; something that you might actually love?

selfishThe same applies to relationships, you may feel a sense of responsibility towards your partner, perhaps you’ve been together for a long time and you know that you’ll hurt them if you end things. You may feel that they need you and you stay out of a sense of guilt but is that what you would want from a relationship? Would you want someone to stay with you purely out of loyalty or pity? I would guess that the answer would be no so why do you stay? Why not break away and give yourself and your partner a chance at real happiness?

When it comes to the way we feel about ourselves it’s often because we don’t take responsibility that we have negative feelings. We feel fat and hate the way that we look in the mirror but we don’t do anything about it even though we know that we are capable. We know that we would feel less down if we got up off the couch and went out for a walk but we stay in front of the TV wallowing in misery and hoping that someone will do something to make us feel better.

Is it really irresponsible to want to enjoy our lives? Is it wrong to want to do things that make us feel good? Make us happy? If the answer is no then why do we spend so much time doing things we hate? Do we feel that other people will think we’re selfish or self-indulgent if we pursue only the things that give us pleasure? Maybe but who is living our life? Who has no choice but to live it? Us or them?

Personally, what I am aiming for is to get to the end of my life and not have as my last thought:

“I wish I had…………..”

What about you? Do you do things you hate? My advice would be ‘stop doing it’ but maybe you feel that you can’t…….

Please let me know, I’d love to hear from you

20 comments for “If you Don’t Like it, Don’t do It!

1. July 31, 2018 at 8:02 am

Reblogged this on anita dawes and jaye marie.

2. July 31, 2018 at 8:06 am

There are so many things we can’t in all conscience change, probably because we lack the courage or cannot bear the thought of hurting anyone that badly. But I also know there are many things we could stop doing to make our lives just a little better. So root them out and send them packing!

3. July 31, 2018 at 9:50 am

My absolute nightmare would be to be Theresa May – whether I agree or disagree about what she says or does, I would be a quivering wreck and I admire her for still managing to function at all. Not enough women in politics – probably because most people, male and female, would not cope, have no desire for such a career. If you like a workplace where everyone is nice to each other, politics is not for you! I have bombed out of two careers, that is a failure, but better than having a nervous break down. Yes indeed, if you’re not happy – get out now, don’t worry about family expectations!

• July 31, 2018 at 10:04 am

Walking away is definitely not failure if you’re doing it to try something that will make you happier :O) Thanks so much for your comment x

4. July 31, 2018 at 12:10 pm

Thank you for this post Lisa. It is a little too close to the bone for comfort for me but very timely and very accurate. x

5. TheMundaneLifeOfAbby
    July 31, 2018 at 1:27 pm

I already regret doing things and not doing things. I don’t want to anymore or I would like to decrease those things. But some things are just hard to let go even though you don’t like it anymore. Still, I’ll try to choose things that will make me happy and regret a lot less.

• July 31, 2018 at 1:36 pm

Deciding to let go is always the hardest part but once you have it’s 😁😁😁. Thanks so much for your comment

6. July 31, 2018 at 3:54 pm

Regret is a word, and feeling, that I banned from my life a long time ago. I may wish I’d done some things differently, or not done them at all, but regret – NO!

7. July 31, 2018 at 6:59 pm

Sage advice, which I take to heart! I find that, as I age, I get more and more “selfish”, and how good to know that that’s okay! I know I’ve spent far too much time in my life trying to please others!

• July 31, 2018 at 7:12 pm

It’s totally ok 😊thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment xx

8. August 1, 2018 at 12:19 am

Wise and hits close to home!❤

9. August 3, 2018 at 2:31 pm

I feel like people actually like me better when I do things I like doing. It really has a double payoff. Thanks for the great post.