Song Lyric Sunday

Happy Sunday fellow bloggers, I hope that you’re enjoying your day :O) So, it’s time for us to share our favourite song lyrics based on this week’s theme which is ‘think’. As someone who doesn’t think outside the box but can sometimes be found rooting around in the deepest darkest corners, I decided to share a song with you which actually has no lyrics. Yes, you heard me right, no lyrics this week but the most beautiful piece of music and a video that I watched over and over again because I couldn’t stop thinking about it.

This fantastic idea of sharing music that we love or inspires us came from Helen Vahdati and if you feel like joining in and flexing your cerebral muscles, these are the rules:

Here are the “rules”:

• Post the lyrics to the song of your choice, whether it fits the theme or not
  • Please try to include the songwriter(s) – it’s a good idea to give credit where credit is due and it’s honestly just a simple Google search
  • Make sure you also credit the singer/band and provide a link to where you found the lyrics
  • Link to the YouTube video, or pull it into your post so others can listen to the song
  • Ping back to this post or my own Song Lyric Sunday post
  • Read at least one other person’s blog so we can all share new and fantastic music and create amazing new blogging friends in the process

So, back to the song:

This is Sacrifice, written by Lisa Gerrard and Peter Bourke and sung by Lisa herself.

The animation is Vita ex musica (2004) by Antoine Dekerle

It is rare to find a piece of music that reaches into your very soul but Sacrifice does that for me; it is powerful and deeply moving but, at the same time, almost hypnotic inasmuch as it leaves you with a profound sense of peace and regret when it ends.

The video matches the mood of the song completely. It is brilliantly innovative, weird and heartrendingly sad. It tells of a being, not of this world, who falls in love with a woman’s face, it is unmoving, expressionless but undeniably beautiful. He cannot stop thinking about her and can’t understand why she doesn’t respond to him, why she doesn’t awaken from her sleep…..

He has a gift which allows him to bring something back to life when it is on the very brink of death and he believes that he can revive this woman; he is alone in the World and desperate for companionship, for love. Although he is not something we would recognise as human the pain of his loneliness is palpable…

We see one moment of blissful hope and then watch as it dies in his eyes as he realises that even his rare gift will not be enough to revive this woman from her sleep. We feel his anger, his bitterness at his failure and his heartbreak at the unbearable cruelty of life.

For me this piece of music and its video are unique. I’m not sure that you’ll enjoy them  as such but, at the very least, I hope that they make you think….

19 comments for “Song Lyric Sunday

1. July 8, 2018 at 8:04 am

Oh my, it is SO sad, I’m near tears… but it is so beautiful. thank you for sharing.

2. July 8, 2018 at 8:06 am

That was so beautiful and sad!

3. July 8, 2018 at 11:51 am

7 Years
    Lukas Graham
    Once I was seven years old my momma told me
    Go make yourself some friends or you’ll be lonely
    Once I was seven years old
    It was a big big world, but we thought we were bigger
    Pushing each other to the limits, we were learning quicker
    By eleven smoking herb and drinking burning liquor
    Never rich so we were out to make that steady figure
    Once I was eleven years old my daddy told me
    Go get yourself a wife or you’ll be lonely
    Once I was eleven years old
    I always had that dream like my daddy before me
    So I started writing songs, I started writing stories
    Something about that glory just always seemed to bore me
    ‘Cause only those I really love will ever really know me
    Once I was twenty years old, my story got told
    Before the morning sun, when life was lonely
    Once I was twenty years old
    I only see my goals, I don’t believe in failure
    ‘Cause I know the smallest voices, they can make it major
    I got my boys with me at least those in favor
    And if we don’t meet before I leave, I hope I’ll see you later
    Once I was twenty years old, my story got told
    I was writing about everything, I saw before me
    Once I was twenty years old
    Soon we’ll be thirty years old, our songs have been sold
    We’ve traveled around the world and we’re still roaming
    Soon we’ll be thirty years old
    I’m still learning about life
    My woman brought children for me
    So I can sing them all my songs
    And I can tell them stories
    Most of my boys are with me
    Some are still out seeking glory
    And some I had to leave behind
    My brother I’m still sorry
    Soon I’ll be sixty years old, my daddy got sixty-one
    Remember life and then your life becomes a better one
    I made a man so happy when I wrote a letter once
    I hope my children come and visit, once or twice a month
    Soon I’ll be sixty years old, will I think the world is cold
    Or will I have a lot of children who can warm me
    Soon I’ll be sixty years old
    Soon I’ll be sixty years old, will I think the world is cold
    Or will I have a lot of children who can warm me
    Soon I’ll be sixty years old
    Once I was seven years old, momma told me
    Go make yourself some friends or you’ll be lonely
    Once I was seven years old
    Once I was seven years old

My go to always when I just want to think. Not sure why but it catches me.

4. Dr. Perry
    July 8, 2018 at 6:23 pm

Great post. The song and video are beautiful!✨

• July 8, 2018 at 6:41 pm

Thank you 😊 so happy that you liked them; they’re not to everyone’s taste but they moved me to my core

• Dr. Perry
        July 8, 2018 at 6:49 pm

She has a lovely voice. Because of your post I am listening to her on spotify. Thank you✨

• July 8, 2018 at 6:53 pm

Amazing isn’t she 😊 look out for The Gardener (May only be on YouTube) it’s stunning

• Dr. Perry
        July 8, 2018 at 7:00 pm

I just saw it. Very beautiful. I just realized why her voice sounds familiar. I believe she was on the sound track for The Gladiator?

• July 8, 2018 at 7:16 pm

You’re absolutely right, she was 😊

5. July 8, 2018 at 10:24 pm

So sad and beautiful! Thanks for sharing this with us!❤

6. July 8, 2018 at 10:52 pm

Wow, I’m breathless! What a beautifully, sad story. The music was fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing!

7. July 8, 2018 at 11:48 pm

Love this song. Poignant but beautiful

8. July 18, 2018 at 8:02 am

What a powerful music and song. The singing expression such depth of love and pain
    it keeps me spellbound.