No Fear!

I have a question for you: Are you afraid of dying? Sorry, that was a bit blunt wasn’t it; let’s put it another way……..are you afraid of dying? Yes, I know it’s the same question but there isn’t really any other way to put it. I think most people would answer yes but why, it’s not as if anyone has ever come back and told us what it’s like; it could be that life as we know it is just an intro, something to be, at worst, suffered and, at best, tolerated  until we move on to the really good stuff. A bit like the trailers before the movie – interesting in their way but not the main reason that you’ve come to the cinema……..

Personally, I’m not afraid of dying – pain and suffering (for me and those I’ll leave behind) yes but not dying per se. Why? Well, partly it’s down to Terry Pratchett……

“The rider strode towards him, black cloak billowing  and feet making little clicking noises on the cobbles. They were the only noises – silence clamped down on the square like great drifts of cotton wool. The impressive effect was rather spoilt by a patch of ice.

OH BUGGER!”

This is an excerpt from his wonderful book Mort and it describes the approach of Death; it was, quite simply, one of the funniest books I’ve ever read and, because of that I began to gain a different perspective; I mean, how could I be afraid of a being who loved curry and cats? Pratchett treated the character of Death and the subject itself with a impressive irreverence; this quote is part of a conversation between Death and a chap from the local Job Centre who’s trying to find him employment (long story):

““I USHERED SOULS INTO THE NEXT WORLD. I WAS THE GRAVE OF ALL HOPE. I WAS THE ULTIMATE REALITY. I WAS THE ASSASSIN AGAINST WHOM NO LOCK WOULD HOLD.
“Yes, point taken, but do you have any particular skills?”

However, this amazing author also used the character to impart his particular brand of wisdom on the Human condition:

“THAT’S MORTALS FOR YOU, Death continued. THEY’VE ONLY GOT A FEW YEARS IN THIS WORLD AND THEY SPEND THEM ALL IN MAKING THINGS COMPLICATED FOR THEMSELVES. FASCINATING.”

He had a point, don’t you think?

The same type of personification was used in the film Bill and Ted’s Bogus journey when the lead characters trapped by Death in the bowels of Hell. As is traditional, they had the right to challenge him and, if they won, they would gain their freedom………..they challenged him to a game of Battleships!

Let’s face it, whatever we do, we are all going to die one day. We can try to fight against it  and worry about it but, come on, really, how will that serve us? It’s not as if a swift kick in the nuts is going to put him off is it? Well, not in the long term anyway:

You may say that I’m making light of death but what else are we supposed to do? I’ve suffered unbearably as a result of people I loved dying, I’m damned if I’m going to spend the rest of my life worrying about my own death, to quote Dave Lister in the superbly funny Red Dwarf:

Everybody dies. You’re born, and you die. The bit in the middle’s called life, and that’s still to come!”

8 comments for “No Fear!

1. June 4, 2018 at 12:31 pm

I am not afraid of dying, but I am afraid of how I will die. The very thought of that scares me.

• June 4, 2018 at 12:55 pm

I’m not so worried about the ‘how’ but more the pain that may come with it. Saying that nothing lasts forever so even that would have an end. Thanks for your comment 😊x

2. June 5, 2018 at 5:05 am

Death is not what I’m afraid, I’ve fully embraced its reality at an young age. However, it’s living life not to the fullest is what I fear.

3. June 5, 2018 at 2:10 pm

Well, I have to be honest: my answer is yes. I am afraid to die. I wake up thinking about it, from time to time.

My particular belief in the hereafter is that it is nothingness. It’s not what I want it to be but, after many decades of personal attention to the idea, it is the conclusion I have come to. Hope I’m wrong, by the way. 😉

I’m not afraid of the final thing that happens to me. I mean, I don’t want to die in crippling, prolonged pain, but I understand that it’s not my choice. I also completely understand that I will die; it’s the only real forgone conclusion in life.

I just don’t want to.

I don’t want all these daily, swirling thoughts in my brain to stop. I like ’em. I like being alive and living daily and delighting in every single bit of life. But, mostly, I like thinking. I’m afraid the thinking will stop, that I will stop “being Tom” and that scares the bejeezus out of me.

(Just realized I had never spelled the word “bejeezus” before. I had to look that up!)

Not that the fear will change me. I will still live my life to the fullest and never allow my fear of death to influence my decisions in life. It’s not that kind of fear. It’s dread. I dread the end. I don’t want one. So much that I wake up and think about it sometimes. I guess that’s fear.

But I really do like your idea of making light of it, in a way. What’s the alternative? Change the things we can, laugh at the things we don’t. Isn’t that a prayer or something? 😁

• June 5, 2018 at 3:05 pm

Hiya Tom :O) Sorry if I scared the bejeezus out of you :O( it’s just that when I have these random thoughts I tend to write them down – this one arrived when I was in the shower – God knows why!! Oddly enough I do know what you mean about the thoughts but I do believe that some part of us – our essence if you will (although that sounds a bit icky) – lives on. I’m not religious at all but I don’t think that this is it. Maybe that’s just because I don’t want to think that I’ll become nothingness but, if I do, let’s face it I won’t know a whole lot about it ;O)
      Not wanting the end, as is the case with you (and me I guess although I don’t fear it) is probably what drives us to really live every day. Actually, thinking about it, what I fear most is being physically incapable of doing all the things I love……..oh shit……yep that’s a scary thought!
      Yes I’m sure there’s a prayer like that and if there isn’t there should be. The way I see it when my time’s up, my time’s up and there is squat that I can about it ;O) x

• June 5, 2018 at 6:38 pm

And that last sentence just about sums it up. Afraid? Sure. Dwell? Oh, hell no! 🙂

• June 5, 2018 at 6:41 pm