The Best Film Ever!

Have you ever watched a film that was so incredibly, mind alteringly brilliant that it stayed with you for days, months or even years after it finished? Did it speak to you on a level so deep that you never thought that such a thing could be possible? Everyone has seem a film like that at one time or another in their lives – what was yours?

Mine was Primal Fear; based on a John Grisham novel, it is the story of a young, somewhat naive, almost dim witted young man who is put on trial for the brutal murder of a Catholic bishop. The film deals with the court case and the events which preceded it – namely sexual abuse and corruption within the church. Edward Norton plays the young man, Aaron, and his performance is absolutely flawless, he wraps you up and invites you in to his world in a way that I’ve rarely seen, he is completely convincing.

His lawyer is played by Richard Gere who is best known for his roles in romantic comedies such as Pretty Woman and the Runaway Bride. In this role he is tough and insufferably arrogant but, at the same time, trusting and vulnerable; a difficult combination to pull off for any actor.

I’m not going to spoil this film for you by giving you any more detail, the only thing I will say is that it has a twist at the end which you will not see coming and which will make you doubt and question everything that you’ve seen up until that moment…

If you are looking for a truly great film, Primal Fear is most definitely it!

I’d really love to hear your recommendations so please let me know which films have stayed in your mind and why

Looking forward to it :O)

Lisa

x

12 comments for “The Best Film Ever!

1. May 27, 2018 at 12:34 pm

OMG. My sister has been raving about this film, I watched the fist 10 minutes of it and then I stopped, I don’t why but I didn’t finish it. Edward was amazing, OMG. I think he was nominated for an Oscar with this role, not sure though. I think I will have to see this one. Thank you. 🙂

• May 27, 2018 at 12:51 pm

Thanks so much for your comment – it’s nice to know I’m not the only who raves about it. :O) You’re right, he was nominated for an Oscar – best supporting actor – he should have won in my humble opinion. Hope you enjoy the film if you decide to watch it – the twist at the end really is mind-blowing ;o) x

2. May 28, 2018 at 4:26 pm

Hm, that’s a tough one! My favorite movies tend to be fun, action, sci-fi or superhero films that are put together WELL (Serenity, Avengers 1 and 3, the new Star Trek, etc), but they’re really not that awe-inspiring, life-altering types of films. I mean, they’re fun and I can watch them over and over and over but I don’t walk away with a new perspective on life or anything. 🙂

So I guess to bring it all together I would have to say “Contact” with Matthew McConaughey and Jodie Foster had that impact among movies, on me, and “The West Wing” did that as a TV series.

Now, if you wanna go way back I could tell you that “Cool Hand Luke” was that kind of flick for me. Perspective-changing, for a young rebel named Tom. And if you want to get silly for a minute I can tell you that Travolta’s Chili Palmer in “Get Shorty” taught me a thing or two about human communication that I have never forgot. 🤣

P.S. I remember the flick you mentioned, but don’t remember the end! Looks like I’ll have to find a copy of it somewhere and watch again!

• May 28, 2018 at 4:35 pm

Thanks so much for your comment Tom, hope you’re having a great day 😊 I don’t know Contact but I’m definitely going to check it out as I love Matthew McConaughey and Jodie Foster. Get Short – that was a great film!! John Travolta was awesome in that (and Pulp Fiction). Not a huge sci-fi fan to be honest, not sure why. I’m not telling you the end of Primal Fear 😉x

• May 28, 2018 at 4:44 pm

To this day my wife groans “Get Shorty AGAIN?!” when she sees me watching it. Chili is simply the best. 😊

• May 28, 2018 at 4:50 pm

Oh yeah 😁 ps just found two comments from you in my spam folder (no idea why). I approved them both and now they’ve disappeared 🙁 when and if they turn up I’ll reply – don’t want you to think I’m ignoring you x

• May 28, 2018 at 4:53 pm

Aha! I knew they were there! From a couple of days ago, eh? 😣

• May 28, 2018 at 4:54 pm

Yep that’s them. God knows where they are now 🙄

• May 28, 2018 at 4:55 pm

Well, as long as everything is appearing now, the crisis can be called averted. All’s well, as they say!

• May 28, 2018 at 4:58 pm

Receiving all loud and clear now cap’n 😉x