Imagine There’s No Heaven….

...It’s easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

If there was no reward after death for the good and kind deeds that we do during our life -time would people still be moved to do them? If, at the same time, we knew for sure that there was no chance of punishment after death, would we be more predisposed to commit ‘evil’ deeds in the name of self-gratification? Does the thought that are lives are somehow guided by a divine being comfort us or stop us looking inside ourselves and reaching our true potential as human beings?

If we had no worries about yesterday and no fear of tomorrow would we all live more happily and peacefully today? If we could all live in the moment without judgement or criticism, could we finally find a way to co-exist without hatred and war?

These lyrics, by John Lennon, are, in my opinion, the most profound and timeless of any song ever written.

What song lyrics have stayed with you and continue to inspire you?

8 comments for “Imagine There’s No Heaven….

1. May 21, 2018 at 12:59 pm

The amount of people who have said that without religion how could we have morals… I expect they would have difficulty imagining there is no heaven. I think the song suggests we use our own intelligence to figure out what is right and what is wrong.
    I can’t think of any other lyrics offhand, boo!

2. May 23, 2018 at 1:44 pm

I can only speak from my own experience, in both cases, but the lack of belief in an afterlife or higher deity has had no bearing on the mindset I have developed as a human being. When I was carefree and careless in my youth it had to do with my search for my place in this world both when I was a believer and when I grew past that. Today I am more careful and, to be sure, loving, but that, too, has nothing to do with gods.

If I had to theorize I would say that the world would be a better place without them. Some would still use that as a road to callousness, for some people are simply like that, but the rest (those I would call the sheep of the believers’ flock) would be more likely to be accepting of others, since their dogma was not rejecting them.

As for a song, the lyrics to Blind Melon’s “Change” have always been the most profound north star of my life, though they can’t truly compare to Lennon’s masterpiece. πŸ™‚

• May 23, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Hi Tom :O) I don’t think that religion per se is the problem, I think the problem, as you say, is people. They seem determined to fight about whose God is best and how He’s the only one and if you worship anyone else you deserve something really unpleasant happening to you and that will carry on ad infinitum or until someone proves the existence or otherwise of one god or another. Don’t know the song – I’ll go and check it out now :O)

• May 23, 2018 at 3:01 pm

Yes, precisely! I have no issue with anyone’s chosen beliefs, only the dogmatic application of the same. 😊

Reading a great book on it right now, as a matter of fact, about the history of dogmatic fictions in America. It is titled, appropriately, “Fantasyland.” 😏

• May 23, 2018 at 3:10 pm

Exactly! I’m always looking for new books – who’s the author? I liked the song by the way ;O)

• May 23, 2018 at 3:47 pm

Awesome! Yeah, I discovered that little gem years and years ago when I really needed it. Now I queue it up whenever life is hard and I need to, you know, change. πŸ˜‰

Kurt Andersen is the author. Really fascinating perspective on how foolish we Americans are, specifically, and how we never seem to learn the lessons of the generations before…

• May 23, 2018 at 4:18 pm

Yep I know exactly what you mean – songs can have a huge impact on us 😊 recently discovered Believe by Imagine Dragons and I just grin every time I hear it 😁
        Thanks for the book tip I’ll give it a go. I don’t think it’s just Americans; every generation likes to think that it knows best and maybe that’s why we never learn πŸ˜‰